Thursday, May 28, 2009

Glee

The Good and Bad of Glee

As an avid American Idol fan, I couldn’t not ignore the many previews for Fall’s new show Glee. I had a feeling I wanted to check it out. Time went on and I saw Nickelodeon’s TV special “Spectacular!” Although the show wasn’t Spectacular, I really dig the music in that movie especially the whole show choir sound most of the songs had. The new previews for Glee portrayed this show choir element and I became really excited to see the show.

Now after watching the pilot episodes, I see aspects that I really like and others that I’m not digging too much. Let’s start with the bad. The biggest problem I have with this show is the love triangle between Mr. Schuester, his wife, and Emma. Just from this first episode I am predicting that Will and his wife will break up. I mean I knew when she told him she was pregnant she was lying. She’s not going to have a baby if the show sets us up not to like her and makes Emma such a likable character. I got the feeling right from the start she was going to do anything she could to try to make him change. Anyway, regardless if Will and Emma end up together or not, I want them together and I think a lot of other people feel the same way. The problem that I have with this is did they really have to have him be married. I just don’t want another show giving off the vibe that divorce is an ok thing. Divorce is a problem, it complicates life, and it’s heartbreaking. I would like to watch a show that shows marriage as a sacred thing. Is that too much to ask?

Besides that, I could have done without the “poke” at religion, with the cheerleader scene but I won’t go into that because it didn’t bug me that much.

After that rant, you may be wondering if I did find anything I enjoyed about the show and you probably think my whole opinion is being clouded by the whole love triangle ordeal. Well, there are many parts of the show that I loved about the show, starting with the music. I pretty much loved all the songs in pilot which included; Shining Star, Rehab, Don’t Stop Believing, You’re The One That I Want, Respect, On My Own, Sit Down You’re Rocking the Boat, I Kissed A Girl, Mister Cellophane, and Can’t Fight This Feeling. I knew most of these songs before seeing the show so it was really nice to hear them in this way. I was going to list my favorites but I really liked almost all of them from the pilot. Also in the fall preview we get a glimpse of them singing Gold Digger and Somebody to Love. I’m really excited to hear those. Also I just realized today that the guy who plays Will (Matthew Morrison) was in the TV version of Once Upon A Mattress, which I love. Now I’m so excited to hear him sing on the show because you know he’s going to.

Other things I like…
- I really like the cheerleading coach.
- I like Emma’s OCD
- I loved the whole cheesy bit on money vs. passion
- I LOVE Fin’s character. I mean you have to like the rebel who is going against the high school hierarchy rules.

In the end, I’m going to be watching this show. Mostly for the music but there are a couple things I like besides that. I suggest you turn in too. Show choir is the new fad! I love it!


P.S. Ok I love this version but when they did this as the group song on Idol this season they did it better.....

No comments: